In many international markets the travel trade (tour operators and travel agents) play a crucial role in providing holidaymakers with the information they need to choose a destination and plan their trip. Online travel businesses are also taking an increasingly large share of the market. Therefore, as well as direct-to-consumer marketing, we have a comprehensive programme of activities to engage with the travel trade.
- Regular contact and partnerships with travel trade in each market
- Sales missions where VisitScotland enables Scottish tourism business to meet the overseas travel trade
- Participation in events, such as World Travel Market and our own VisitScotland Expo, which provide an opportunity to present Scottish tourism services to overseas buyers
- Hosting familiarisation trips and workshop events in Scotland
- Training programmes, such as the well-established SCOTSagent programme, to increase the trade’s knowledge of Scotland and their ability to sell it to their customers.
The key aims of these activities are to increase the inclusion of Scotland product and programmes within overseas operator portfolios, to improve distribution by working with wholesalers and tour operators, to extend awareness of Scotland as a destination and to encourage the trade to feature Scotland ahead of competitor destinations.
To find out more, visit our dedicated travel trade site.