Our Events Directorate takes a strategic lead in the Scottish events industry and is responsible for working with partners to attract, bid for and secure major sporting, cultural and business events worldwide. Over the past decade we have brought some of the world’s biggest event properties to the country including the Ryder Cup, Commonwealth Games in 2014 and European Championships 2018 and future events such as The Solheim Cup 2019 and Euro 2020 Football.
EventScotland is led by Robbie Clyde, and is the team which promotes Scotland as the Perfect Stage for Events. Their primary focus is the development of a strong events portfolio for Scotland through direct investment and other support, as well as maximising and measuring the impact of events in Scotland.
Strong partnerships are cornerstone of the team’s work and it is this collaborative approach that has attracted and secured a number of upcoming major international events to Scotland including:
- The 2019 Solheim Cup, Gleneagles
- World Men’s Curling Championship 2020, Glasgow
- UEFA EURO 2020, Glasgow
- Women’s British Open 2020, venue TBC
- LEN Junior Championships 2020, Aberdeen.
More on how we support Scotland's events industry.
Development - Events Industry
The Development team is led by Marie Christie, they play a lead role in our collaboration and support of the events industry and wider events economy with a focus on partnerships and collaboration, education and knowledge sharing and quality organisation and delivery.
The team leads on and delivers a range of activity across four key strands:
- Strategic leadership and co-ordination of Scotland’s Themed Years
- Delivery of a programme of Events and Exhibitions including VisitScotland Expo, the Scottish Thistle Awards and the National Events Conference
- VisitScotland’s Growth Fund, facilitating innovation and growth through the support of collaborative marketing projects
- Events Industry Development: a programme of engagement and activity to promote best practice within the events industry - an essential part of our contribution to the delivery of the National Events Strategy.
This team is led by Neil Brownlee, the Business Events team is dedicated to driving business events such as conventions, corporate meetings, incentive groups, and product launches into Scotland from around the world, notably from North America, Germany, France, Spain and the rest of the UK.
With staff in London, Toronto and Scotland, the team works in partnership with the city convention bureaus of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen plus key venues, hotels and academic centres of excellence to attract business events related to Scotland’s ambitions key industry sectors including life sciences, FinTech, digital, energy and food & drink.
Our aim is to drive Scotland’s economic and social progress through business events. For more information visit Business Events.
Director of Events - Paul Bush, OBE
Prior to joining EventScotland in 2003 Paul was Chef De Mission for The Scottish Commonwealth Games team where he managed Scotland’s most successful ever Commonwealth Games team of 245 athletes and officials who secured 29 medals. He was awarded an OBE in the 2007 Queen’s New Year Honours List for Services to Commonwealth Sport. In 2015 he was appointed Chairman of Commonwealth Games Scotland.
Paul is based at:
Ocean Point One
94 Ocean Drive