2023 UCI Cycling World Championships
From 3 to13 August 2023, the inaugural UCI Cycling World Championships will be hosted in Glasgow and across Scotland. It will be the single biggest cycling event in history, bringing together for the first time 13 existing UCI World Championships into one mega event.
This historic and innovative event will welcome more than 8,000 amateur and elite cyclists from more than 120 countries and crown over 190 UCI World Champions across 13 UCI World Championships. This includes: BMX Freestyle Flatland; BMX Freestyle Park; BMX Racing; Gran Fondo; Indoor Cycling; Mountain Bike Cross-country; Mountain Bike Downhill; Mountain Bike Cross-country Marathon; Para-cycling Road; Para-cycling Track; Road; Track; Trials.
The anticipated global TV audience will place the event in the top-10 most watched sporting events in the world, rivalling the Olympics and Commonwealth Games and placing Scotland on the world stage as a destination for elite cycling and cycle tourism.
Currently the UCI stages annual UCI World Championships in each of its disciplines in different host cities around the world throughout the year. Starting with the inaugural event in 2023, the UCI Cycling Worlds will bring these championships together every four years, the year prior to the Olympics.
The 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships is more than just an event. It will be a catalyst for behavioural change across Scotland by giving everyone the opportunity to experience the freedom riding a bike can bring to their lives. By working in collaboration with cycling and wider partners, it will amplify and unify existing work and activity across health, transport, tourism and participation.
The event will be delivered in collaboration between the UCI, Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council, UK Sport, British Cycling, Glasgow Life and VisitScotland with its EventScotland team through 2023 Cycling World Championships Ltd. The partnership is creating a blueprint for future editions by ensuring the inaugural event is authentic, innovative, and distinctive. For more information visit www.cyclingworldchamps.com.
Venues and Locations already announced include:
- BMX Freestyle Park (Glasgow Green, Glasgow)
- BMX Freestyle Flatland (Glasgow Green, Glasgow)
- BMX Racing (Glasgow BMX Centre, Glasgow)
- Gran Fondo (Perth and Kinross)
- Indoor (Emirates Arena, Glasgow)
- Mountain Bike Cross Country (Glentress)
- Mountain Bike Downhill (Fort William)
- Mountain Bike Marathon (Glentress)
- Para-cycling Road (Dumfries & Galloway)
- Para-cycling Track (Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Glasgow)
- Road (Edinburgh, Loch Lomond, Road Race Finish: George Square, Glasgow, Time Trial: Stirling)
- Track (Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Glasgow)
- Trials (Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow)