Get involved in Year of Coasts and Waters 2020
Plans are fully underway for Scotland’s celebratory Year of Coasts and Waters 2020.
What does it mean for your business or organisation? Whether you're an accommodation provider, visitor attraction or a tour guide – next to the coast or not - get ready to inspire and attract both visitors and locals looking to uncover and enjoy Scotland as part of the Year.
Scotland’s coasts and waters have shaped our history: from fishing and textiles to whisky and wave power, they have influenced our culture, our stories, our way of life.
It’s not all about beaches and rivers! The visitor opportunity in terms of experiences and events will be broadly presented across four cross cutting strands:
- Our Natural Environment and Wildlife
- Our Historic Environment and Cultural Heritage
- Activities and Adventure
- Food and Drink
Food & Drink is a key theme so maximise the opportunity of the forthcoming year across your own business:
- Whether it’s using the logo on your website, sharing the hashtag #YCW2020 across your channels with a stunning image or making sure your VisitScotland web-listing reflects how your business will be celebrating the year – every little bit counts.
- We share content from social media on visitscotland.com/ycw2020 to inspire and attract both locals and visitors – join in and share your food and drink offering using #YCW2020 and #visitscotland
- Are there local businesses / organisations you could explore working with to create new experiences or products in celebration of the year
- Get creative and plan for next year- you could have a YCW2020 seafood menu or offer a tasting session with your whisky supplier, it is the water of life after all!
We've got more tips on how to maximise the opportunity that YCW2020 presents within our handy industry toolkit.
The Year of Coasts and Waters 2020 celebrates and shines a spotlight on Scotland’s beautiful natural environment and promoting responsible engagement is a key factor. Our industry toolkit not only offers ways to get involved via marketing but also has links to a wealth of information on some of the best practices to follow when planning activity in relation to the Year, and beyond.