High profile events on the horizon
Scotland’s reputation as a world-class host and leading events destination is recognised globally. Since its inception in 2003, our EventScotland team has helped bring some of the world’s biggest event properties to the country including The 2014 Ryder Cup, XX Commonwealth Games, 2014 MTV Europe Music Awards, and The 2019 Solheim Cup, coupled with hosting new event concepts; 2018 European Championships, along with the forthcoming UNBOXED and the biggest ever cycling event in history - 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships.
Throughout 2020 and 2021, the COVID-19 outbreak has led to a flood of cancellations and postponements from events across the country. Some event organisers responded by adapting their live events into online offerings, including Edinburgh’s Hogmanay which created a series of visually stunning films of a choregraphed drone swarm to celebrate the occasion; The Open Championship with golfing greats from across the decades and a digital programme curated by Glasgow International. For more information on how some events shifted to online please visit our planning and managing virtual events page to read our case studies.
There is still uncertainty on how long it will take to continue to navigate through the pandemic. What is certain, however, is that events are returning and Scotland will once again shine as the perfect stage for major sporting and cultural events.
Below are just some of EventScotland’s supported cultural and sporting highlights that are taking place in 2022 and beyond.
- UCI Track Cycling Nations Cup, Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Glasgow (21 to 24 April 2022)
- UCI Mountain Bike World Cup, Fort William (21 to 22 May 2022)
- The 150th Open, St Andrews (10 to 17 July 2022, and at Royal Troon in 2024)
- Trust Golf Women's Scottish Open, Dundonald (28 to 31 July 2022)
- AIG Women’s Open, Muirfield, Gullane (4 to 7 August 2022 and at St Andrews in 2024)
- UNBOXED: Creativity in the UK
- Scotland's Year of Stories 2022
- 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships, Glasgow and Scotland
- The Tall Ships Races, Lerwick, Shetland (26 to 29 July 2023)
- 2024 World Athletics Indoor Championships, Emirates Arena, Glasgow
- World Orienteering Championships 2024, Edinburgh
- Orkney 2025 Island Games (12 - 18 July 2025)