Following five years of construction, the most significant transformation Edinburgh has seen, St James Quarter, opened phase one of the 850,000 sq ft shopping galleria.
The completion of the first phase of the development brings a new, retail led, lifestyle district that fully integrates into and enhances Edinburgh’s City Centre providing an inspiring, attractive, and vibrant destination for locals and visitors to shop, eat and play.
Over 40 retailers welcomed the public through their doors on opening morning, many of which are debuting their brand in Scotland for the first time, including, & Other Stories, Stradivarius, Bershka, and Pull&Bear.
H&M, Mango, Next – including its Victoria Secret offering, Rituals Tommy Hilfiger, Peloton, Salerno, Nordic Outdoor and many more also welcomed their first visitors to their new stores. As part of the development plans, John Lewis opened their newly renovated store in May, boasting a range of new services and experiences.
St James Quarter will also host several new concept stores including Zara, and Superdrug who have added a showcase Skinnydip stand for lifestyle and fashion accessories along with a Beauty Studio area for professional beauty treatments.
Meanwhile Breitling opened its first standalone boutique in Edinburgh, and The Body Shop will open their first Activist Workshop store in Scotland. LEGO has unveiled to shoppers a bespoke Edinburgh themed LEGO mosaic, while IOLLA will be introducing a new experiential showroom with an interactive try on garden.
St James Quarter is committed to championing local brands - taking over Little King Street for the next 12 months are an array of local food and drink pop-ups.
With its prime location in the heart of Edinburgh, St James Quarter is set to become a welcoming, cultural and lifestyle hub for art, culture, and fashion.
Through long-term partnerships with Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Edinburgh Jazz & Blues and the Edinburgh Science Festivals – to name a few – the opening is set to complement the city’s world-renowned cultural offering and support its vibrant events calendar.
The £1 billion development’s hospitality and residential elements are set to complete in three further phases through to 2022.
It features a shopping galleria with 80 different retailers, a mix of restaurants, a Bonnie & Wild food hall, Scotland’s first W Edinburgh hotel, a boutique Everyman Cinema, a Roomzzz Aparthotel, residential apartments, and parking.
This is a momentous occasion for the city of Edinburgh – and this is just the beginning. The brands and experience that we have welcomed today demonstrate our commitment to delivering a curated destination for the people of Edinburgh.
We are now looking forward to continuing on our journey to deliver a truly mixed-use destination of the future as we welcome more brands, leisure, and our new neighbours.
Still to come...
When complete, in addition to the new shopping hub, St James Quarter will include:
- A 244-bedroom W Edinburgh. The first in Scotland, the hotel will include a W Lounge, a signature restaurant, a W Sound Suite, FIT® - the ultimate workout facility - and an AWAY® Spa.
- 152 New Eidyn apartments from Native Land. As well as stunning views from their ‘gardens in the sky’, the new homes will include a shared garden room and unparalleled residents’ services including full concierge service.
- A 75-room Roomzzz Aparthotel. Complementing the scheme's W Edinburgh, Roomzzz is providing stylish apartments with the personal touch for adventure, business and celebration. Guests can stay for one night, a week and up to a year.
- Nine event spaces. An enviable events programme has been created across a range of new and attractive public spaces. Set to host a diverse range of pop-up fashion and music shows, the St James Quarter will link to the city’s rich cultural offering and events calendar.
- A boutique Everyman Cinema. Debuting its first Edinburgh city cinema at the St James Quarter, the cinema will feature five screens and indulgent sofa seating.
- A truly diverse dining experience with an enticing mix of restaurants. From fast food, fresh food, to family and restaurant dining, the St James Quarter boasts the first Bonnie & Wild Scottish food hall, Five Guys, @pizza and Scotland’s first The Alchemist.