Our social media team ran three successful activities this year in which influencers played a critical role. The lessons learned can be useful for any kind of business in the tourism industry. Ideal, if you’re interested in growing your business, raising your platform, or attracting new audiences.
Why should you work with influencers?
The right influencers can open doors to your desired audience. That’s why we like to work with those influencers that allow us to reach people we might otherwise not.
Authenticity is key. For many people, a personal message can be more credible than something that might be seen as too sanitised or too corporate. An influencer who has cultivated a close personal bond with their followers might therefore be the right platform for you.
If your message is authentic, the influencer’s followers will engage with it positively. Don’t be surprised that a good marketing message will ripple out across the internet and in the real world.
An authentic marketing message might even get a lot of chat long after the campaign has ended. This ensures business growth and other benefits well into the future.
Finding the right influencer is even a cost-effective use of your budget. By using our top five tips for working with influencers, you can get your desired marketing outcome without breaking the bank.
Another month of TikTok convincing me to move to Scotland.
Scotland tourism getting their money's worth and then some, Edinburgh now on my list!!
Our influencer activity statistics
Highlighting key themes and messages from our marketing calendar
- 51 assets
- 700,000 likes
- 4.2 million video views
- 9000 comments
- Reached people 3.4 million times
- Top performing piece promoting Tioram Castle achieved 3.7 million views alone
Check out our marketing calendar.
Aligning with wider marketing campaigns such as Scotland is Calling
- 19 assets
- 421,000 likes
- 2.9 million video views
- 5,200 comments
- Reached people 3.7 million times
Working in collaboration with our partnerships and regions team to deliver activity in support of key stakeholders
- Influencer activity across multiple campaigns
- 271,000 views on an LNER and VisitScotland campaign video
I'd definitely go there now after seeing this.
This made me wanna go to Scotland!!!
Five tips for working with influencers
Know who you want to influence
- Define your target audience first
- Identify their needs and interests
- Identify their location, age and gender
- Identify what social platforms they are using
GOAL: To find influencers that have access to an audience you’re trying to reach
Do your research
- Look at hard and soft metrics when assessing influencer suitability for a campaign
- Hard metrics – engagement rate, reach, audience overlay, growth rate
- Soft metrics – tone of voice, success of previous brand partnerships, suitability of your campaign for their channels, post frequency and quality, presence on relevant platforms
GOAL: Work with authentic influencers
- Follow them from your brand social media account
- Engage in their content and share (with permission)
- Personal messages – no mass emails!
- Be collaborative and trust that they know their audience better than you do
GOAL: Build authentic, long-term relationships
Be detailed in your brief
- Create a briefing document that is clear, but fair, so expectations are set from the beginning
- Outline key messages, but allow their natural tone of voice to shine
- Reaffirm ad disclosure guidelines, tagging and hashtags
- Agree on timescales for deliverables and sign off
- Don’t ask for off brand activity that wouldn’t be authentic for the influencer
GOAL: Make it work for all parties
- Use the branded content tools on Instagram to analyse post performance
- Ask for screenshots of any results you don’t have direct access to
- Set individual expectations for each influencer
- Ask yourself what you would do differently next time, or what worked well enough to replicate
I need to take a vacation to Scotland! It's such a beautiful country.