Destination COP | event overview
On Wednesday 6 October we co-hosted Destination COP: a sustainable legacy for Glasgow's tourism industry with Glasgow Life. The event saw around 80 tourism and events businesses from across the Glasgow City Region come together at the voco Grand Central.
Our event aimed to provide practical sustainability advice for delegates to implement in their business – which is of particular significance as the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) fast approaches.
On the day, we heard speeches from Cllr Susan Aitken (Leader of Glasgow City Council), Rob Dickson (VisitScotland's Director of Industry and Destination Development) and Leanne Scobie (Cluster Director of Sales at InterContinental Hotels Group).
Delegates also had the opportunity to attend three breakout sessions covering a variety of topics which were delivered by Tom McGunnigle (Get Ready Glasgow COP26), Andrea Nicholas (Green Tourism) and Janie Neumann (VisitScotland).
View the presentations
Presentations and resources shared during the event are now available for you to browse through.
Quick links to useful resources
Here are some quick links to useful resources mentioned by our speakers during the event:
- Responsible tourism industry guidance
- 10 recovery proposals included in the £25 million Tourism Recovery Programme
- Hospitality Zero Scheme – pilot project for Glasgow City Region
- Glasgow Declaration – new pledge to tackle the climate crisis
- Energy Efficiency Business Support – SME Loan Scheme
- Energy Efficiency Business Support – one-to-one support and virtual energy assessments
- Green Tourism – Green Meetings Standard
- Green Tourism – GreenCheck Portal
- Tourism Declares a Climate Emergency
- Get Ready Glasgow website
- People Make Glasgow Greener website
What did you think?
We’d be grateful if you could take a few moments to complete our online feedback survey. The event was designed to be useful for you, so please tell us about your experience and help us shape future events.
Keep in touch
Are you on Facebook? If you are, come and join our VS Glasgow City Region Business Group! There’s so much great work being done to strengthen the tourism offering locally and this group allows us all to share information on the latest tourism news, events and opportunities.
Glasgow Tourism and Visitor Plan to 2023
Glasgow’s recovery plan for tourism has been developed following a review of the Glasgow Tourism and Visitor Plan to 2023. Sustainability is a guiding principle of this new Action Plan, which is led by the partnership of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Life, Scottish Enterprise and VisitScotland. Find out more about the Glasgow Tourism and Visitor Plan.