Maximum impact online
For maximum impact online, your business needs to be discoverable and bookable. The majority of people plan and book their holidays online. We’ve launched two new videos that cover how to increase your chances of being discovered by these customers and booked through web booking engines, channel managers and online travel agents.
You may already be using some of these tools, but these videos will let you see what options are available to make it simpler for your tourism business to be discoverable and bookable, reaching new markets and potential visitors.
DIY: discoverable and bookable online
For maximum impact online, your business needs to be discoverable and bookable. It’s about how easy it is for a visitor to find your business online, and whether a customer can then book your service online - whether that’s a room to sleep in, a tour, an entry ticket for your attraction, or reserving a table.
Watch our video that looks at technology you can use to be discoverable and bookable online.
DIY: Online Travel Agents
We know that increasing numbers of people use Online Travel Agents (OTAs) to book their holidays – flights, accommodation and experiences. In 2020, at least 41% of visitors booked through OTA’s, so this is a route to market many should consider. OTAs offer a web-based system that allows you to accept bookings online.
Please watch the video “DIY: Online Travel Agents” which explains the opportunities OTA’s provide, how to maximise working with them and some top tips.
Web listings on VisitScotland.com
Your VisitScotland.com business listing is a great platform to showcase your business to a global audience so please check and update it to ensure it’s as accurate and eye-catching as possible. Some tips:
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Use a striking image that captures attention and gets people to click on your listing. You can add up to 30.
- Use the descriptions to attract visitors’ attention and highlight key elements of your business and surrounding area. Customers like to know what else they can do.
- Add a guide price which will appear on the search results page and in your listing.
- Provide online booking. Your listing allows you to add offers or late availability.
- Your listing contains an integrated Google maps facility – ensure its correct.
- And finally, check in on your listing regularly to ensure it’s up to date and links to your business are working.
And, if you don't have a listing with us, you can get one for free. To offer accommodation bookings on your business listing, you have to be working with a web booking engine that is integrated with our site. If you’re already working with one of our 15 providers, you’re ready to get started.
All you need to know about a web listing.
The global experiences market is estimated to be worth $150 billion in 2019, rising to $183 billion in 2020. A staggering 90% of travellers research their holidays online with 80% booking online. The only certainty about the future is that the digital landscape will move faster than ever before.