On Monday 26 October, over 90 businesses from across Glasgow and the surrounding area joined us for our Conference Glasgow webinar. Local industry speakers shared information on the current world of business events and discussed their thoughts on the future of conferences.
The webinar (organised by VisitScotland, Glasgow Convention Bureau and Glasgow Life) formed part of our Recovery webinars for Glasgow series, to help support local businesses with reopening and recovery.
Did you miss them? Watch the full series of webinars – including Conference Glasgow.
Key discussion points
Thanks to everyone who submitted questions prior to, and during, our Conference Glasgow webinar. We had lots of great discussion amongst our panel. Some key takeaways include:
- Conferences will come back when it is safe to do so and will be a major factor in the social and economic recovery for our city. There is an appetite and eagerness to meet face to face, however the public health measures and restrictions on travel and the ability for delegates to meet will still have an impact into 2021.
- Now is a good time to prepare to welcome delegates back by communicating the work that you have been doing to adapt to changes. Be clear about what has changed to give confidence to the client and delegate that they understand what is new and what they need to do.
- While preparing and communicating your COVID-19 changes, also consider updating your accessible information and sustainable credentials on your website and all of your business listings on other websites.
- Communicating with clients is still important but consider how this is being done, if sales are not relevant at the moment look to storytelling about your team and your business as a way to continue to share your warmth and personality. This will help keep Glasgow front of mind during testing times.
- What clients need from businesses just now is flexibility and an eagerness to work in partnership. This will be remembered and appreciated in the future.
We’ve shared some useful resources to help support you with reopening and recovery:
- On Monday 26 October, Glasgow Convention Bureau launched the online Hybrid Glasgow Hub – this includes a toolkit for clients, and inspiring and practical information on Glasgow for delegates.
- Get ready to welcome back clients and delegates by checking and updating your web listing on the Glasgow Convention Bureau website – you can send any updates / changes to your listing to Aileen Crawford.
- We’re Good to Go – show that you’re ready to welcome visitors back safely by signing up to this free UK-wide scheme.
- Find out how to update your VisitScotland.com listing, to ensure your visitors know when you’re ready to welcome them back.
Here are some key contacts if you’d like to get in touch:
- Rory Archibald, Business Development Manager at VisitScotland Business Events
- Aileen Crawford, Head of Conventions at Glasgow Convention Bureau
- Lynsey Eckford, Industry Relationship Manager at VisitScotland
- Anne Marie Gray, Membership Manager at Glasgow Convention Bureau
We’d love your feedback
Please spare five minutes to complete our online feedback survey. Your feedback will help us shape future webinars.