In October last year we launched a major campaign to promote the south of Scotland as a visitor destination across our global digital channels for the very first time. We're delighted to say that the first year has been a major success, reaching a potential audience of more than 183 million people around the world.
The Scottish Government contributed £500,000 additional funding to support the campaign, which has targeted potential leisure visitors from the UK and Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands.
Activity has included new online content, new partnerships, digital marketing campaigns, press trips and social media – all promoting the wealth of fantastic experiences on offer here in the south.
We've gathered some of the key highlights and created a handy infographic which you can use on your channels.
Some of the key highlights of the last year include:
- See South Scotland video content has achieved over 5 million views
- Eight press trips from international journalists led to 47 items of coverage and reaching more than 177 million people worldwide
- A regional social media feature on our consumer Facebook, Instagram and Twitter channels which reached over 3 million people
- Eight businesses from the Scottish Borders and Dumfries & Galloway attended the European Business Development Mission to Amsterdam in October 2018. In addition, four businesses attended VisitScotland Expo 2019 and 56 buyers from 11 countries visited the south of Scotland
- 25,000 direct mails packs were issued to households in the north of England and London and more than 691,000 emails were issued across the UK and European markets
- 32 new pages of content has been developed, including the campaign landing page visitscotland.com/seesouthscotland, as well as 448 new images and 22 new videos for use across our consumer channels
- Partnership marketing campaigns were established with i-on magazine, P&O Ferries and Forestry and Land Scotland
The campaign is now in year two and we've lots of exciting new content in the pipeline. For now, in addition to the infographic, here are the top five ways to get involved with the campaign:
- Watch the See South Scotland film and share it on social media.
- Visit our dedicated See South Scotland webpage at visitscotland.com/seesouthscotland
- Download our toolkit - with a library of free images and sample tweets for you to use
- Tweet! Use the campaign hashtag #SeeSouthScotland and spread the word!
- Download our new free south of Scotland images from our Digital Media Library
The first year of the See South Scotland campaign has been a major success and has helped promote the wealth of fantastic experiences on offer across the south of Scotland to European markets for the very first time.
Tourism is at the very heart of economic success in the Scottish Borders and Dumfries & Galloway – it is vital to the Scottish economy, reaching every corner of the country, creating jobs and bringing economic and social change. The south of Scotland as a total quality destination relies on continued investment and innovation to ensure that current provision meets future demand.