Taste Our Best Accreditation Scheme
Join over 1,000 Scottish businesses who participate in
Taste Our Best -
VisitScotland's accreditation scheme, which recognises
and celebrates businesses who provide locally
sourced, quality food and drink.
It is important to Scotland's visitors - the facts
Food and drink is an important part of our Scottish cultural
identity and heritage and is therefore a key strength in promoting
Scotland as a holiday destination. Sampling traditional dishes and
local produce is one of the top activities undertaken by visitors
- 49% of Scotland's visitors want to try local food and 30% want
to visit a pub
- Two-thirds of our visitors think that quality food is an
important factor when deciding where to go on holiday
- Visitors to Scotland spend 21% of their holiday budget on
eating and drinking
For more information on Taste Our Best and examples of how
other businesses have benefitted from the award read our:
Who can join?
Taste Our Best is open to:
How does it work?
Businesses receive an assessment of their food provision and
menu by qualified assessors who will rate the following:
- The overall quality of the eating experience
- The extent to which Scottish produce is used and promoted (40%
- Staff knowledge of the produce on the menu its provenance
- Seasonal menus - changed minimum of twice a year (this
applies to restaurants and hotels only)
Those that meet the criteria gain
Provenance (where your ingredients come
from) is a key part of achieving Taste Our Best. Not
only is it important to use produce from Scotland in your food
offer, tell your customers you're using it too. Menu descriptions
or provenance statements are a simple and effective way to do this.
For more information and tips see the 'Promoting Provenance'
guides for your sector; Hotel, Small Serviced, Restaurant, Pub, Bar, Cafe and Takeaway or
Why join Taste Our Best?
- Being a Taste Our Best business
helps you stand apart and makes it easy for
visitors to identify your business as being one which
delivers quality food and drink, which is locally
- It can help attract more customers and
improve your bottom line- research has shown that
visitors will pay up to 15% more for food of Scottish origin and
businesses promoting Scottish produce typically enjoy up to 20%
- Drives more customers to your business by
raising your profile with visitors to Scotland by making you part
of VisitScotland's consumer marketing campaigns.
VisitScotland incorporates Taste Our Best throughout its
marketing activity. Take a look at our
latest campaign activity to find out how we are promoting the